19 November 2013

Family Classics

It's a rainy day here in the San Francisco Bay Area, the first one in ever so long.  We Bay Area folk have been packing sun hats and sun block to our soccer games even through this past weekend.  It's been crazy and wonderful and warmish.  

But the lovely grayness is wonderful too.  How could it not be wonderful to live near this?


It's pretty awesome.

But even more awesome?  That crazy confluence of events when no one (well, almost no one) has soccer practice, and all (ok, most) of the children finish their homework early, and someone asks to watch a movie, and then they all agree on a classic, and daddy builds a fire…



…and while daddy makes homemade pizza in the kitchen, we watch Singing in the Rain in a cozy house with raindrops dancing on the windows and car wheels swishing by on a rainy street.



Pure gold!

I screw up plenty as a mama.  I yell too much.  I don't have enough patience.  Or energy.  Or hutzpah.  Or clean socks.  But one thing we've done well around here is that we've shared some fantastic old movies with our kids, and they now love and cherish them as much as we do.  

As the Holidays approach, and the cold and rainy weather make movie nights even more appealing than usual, I present you with a list of movies my family loves, for you to watch with yours.  These movies are gems…as are the moments I've spent watching them with my children.  Get ready to watch some wonderfulness!
  1. Singing in the Rain 
  2. Annie Get Your Gun
  3. Apple Dumpling Gang
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird
  5. It's A Wonderful Life
  6. Some Like It Hot
  7. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  8. Carol Burnett DVDs--ALL OF THEM!
  9. Where the Red Fern Grows
What are some of your favorite old time movies to share with your kids?

* * *

I needed a night like this.

No comments:

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...